Governance – Meetings
How many times have you tried to hold a formal meeting of the members of your community association, only to find that homeowners not enough attended the meeting or sent on their behalf to meet the quorum requirement to carry held a meeting legally? More often than not, the statutes of the community did not offer alternatives, if a quorum is not reached, so you face to call another meeting and another perhaps even more – in a desperate attempt to elect board members and ratify the decisions taken at previous meetings where a quorum is not reached. On the other hand, maybe his lawyer has reported that the time has attempted the call and met the notification requirements, continue to the agenda with the exception of matters requiring a vote and try again quorum next year.
In the “unofficial” meeting, you can take a straw ballot of those present to fill vacancies on board or let the majority decide to allow existing management to continue its term has expired / renewed until finally met a quorum. However, if you are facing the grim challenge of spending money and time to reconvene the meeting until the magic number present in person or by proxy is reached, perhaps some of the suggestions below will help you go to the top of the first quorum.
- Vote by ballot or other electronic voting system. (If allowed by you By-Laws)
- Place signs at each entrance courtyard on the meeting detailing the location and time of the meeting. (Courtesy Officer may be necessary if the community will be abandoned)
- Hold a raffle to encourage the submission of proxy and the state is not necessary to be present to win
- Door prize pool from the area requested or Internet merchants
- Distribute coupons for free services from area retailers
- Ask a business owner to sponsor the meeting / party
- Distribute awards (plaques, certificates, plant, gift certificate) to recognize volunteers
- Invite a speaker of interest – political, police officer, the contractor
- Conducting the meeting of the celebration of another year of success or another “Birthday of the Association.” The meeting itself becomes accessory to the party to look to the future.
Establish annual themes, cities, countries, travel, games
Provide entertainment like a magician, comedian
Provide foods (sodas, snacks, sandwiches)
Expand the meeting to a pool party and barbecue
Hold a potluck dinner
Send multiple mailings and reminders – detail the cost of each shipment and a rental hall to promote proxy. presentation – use flyers, postcards, newsletters and bulletin board / mail cluster publications
Send prepaid postal proxies, including the option for quorum purposes only
Form of Annual Meeting Committee charged with achieving a quorum
Have the Annual Meeting of the owners called Committee representatives have not returned
Hold the meeting in a comfortable / “cool” location or a restaurant? Neighbors Community Club?
Provide transportation to meeting place outside the site
Include a serious problem / controversial on the agenda
Advertise attendees can sign the petition important for City / County / State / Federal Government / Agency / Department / whomever
- Ask attendees to bring donations for charity (canned goods, clothing)